Wednesday 11 April 2012

Week 7 Progress Update

Week 7 Progress Update!
This week has been unusually different in that I had surgery yesterday to get my tonsils removed and have had zero sleep but ALOT of time to think about my design.

I have been discussing issues and ideas with Yvonne, sending multiple emails, her reponses have all been positive. She informed me that thus far I am on the correct track in that my investigations of parametres of light, shadow, view and possibly materials was good.
I gave her the exemplar/primary inspiration of Peter Zumthor and descrived how his design, made of stone and water uses elements also integral to our site and how he has created a building that is calm and pure which directly matches the program of the building which is a bath.

Obviously I cannot do a thermal bath due to our sub tropical climate but I do want to create a space that is wholy integrated with the site, the context, the materials, the demographic, the purpose, the form, the light all elements I want to be simple but powerful and work in harmony.

I established that the 500m2 is only the footprint, that is only the ground footprint and you can exceed this with multiple levels however it cannot exceed the cliff height any more than 3 metres, and the 3 metres is only to be used as an entry way.

I really want to look into materials of stone, old timber and glass. Firstly I will need to select a stone that is environmentally friendly.

I will post next diagrams and sketches of my preliminary design.
I use platforms  as open spaces, enclosed spaces, shaded spaces, and dark spaces.
I use platforms as a simply, tranquil way of enjoying a building on the site.
IMPERATIVE to this design is the idea of a ZEN space. The space will be one for relaxing,  staying, living and learning. The learning process will be informal.

I wish to fuse japanese influences with peter zumthors forms and toyo itos and kengo kumas way of manipulating light. Stone should also react well to flood damage, as seen by the cliff and its way of coping with the flooding.

The sketches show what I am talking about in regards to platforms. I wish the building to come into very close contact with the cliff but not to disturb it. I wish the building to hover above the ground so as to not disturb it either and I also want there to be access from the top of the cliff via elevator to ensure there is disabled access. I am considering putting in a ferry terminal to allow for extra access to the site, making it user friendly.

I am very happy that Yvonne understands so far where I am going with my concepts and my exemplars.
I want people to be able to occupy this space freely. It will be an adaptable space, user friendly, some areas will have distinct purposes others will have no particular function. I want there to be a yoga space, somewhere to relax, somewhere to escape, somewhere to reflect. Using light and shadows I want to carry on the folie idea of using light, shadow and experience to evoke sensations of the invisivble people and invisible events that occured and haunt the site.

This is a space that sits within the city, yet is completely separate from it. I must respect this and ensure that this building is a humble addition, it will take in views, use natural elements, it will gently rest on the site and hopefully will provide spaces that suit the local demographic. By local demogrpahic I mean that I have observed how people enjoy learning in shade in the botanical gardens, in the sun on the river and in shaded undercovered areas in the city. Residents in newfarm, the Valley and the City are also often trendy and wealthy. In New farm particularly they are very active, often people running, cycling, jogging with family, which is why this should be a space that incorporates some sort of physical activity.  Yoga and art classes may be held occassionally. The space may also have private spaces for relaxation and a place to eat/and or drink that encourgaes visitors to return.


Please see following post with images and notes as this explains the purpose of the drawings and how the concepts and ideas fit within then,

No comments:

Post a Comment